Through a balance of environmental, social and economic principles, Blackcomb Aviation endeavours to provide environmentally responsible aviation flight and maintenance operations.
- In the conduct of our work, we employ best practices to comply with environmental standards.
- We endorse recycling, waste reduction, reduced paper consumption, and the proper and safe disposal of all hazardous materials.
- We raise employee awareness of their role in environmental management through continuous learning on environmentally friendly options.
- We promote the role of the individual as a key stakeholder in responsible environmental management and practice.
- We share our best practices in environmental management with our colleagues, peers, and community.
- We ensure that our environmental programs are sustainable and current and that our employees and contractors comply with all applicable environmental laws.
- We challenge our managers to ensure effective systems are in place and that their employees employ best practices, use procedures, and follow all applicable regulations;
- We work with stakeholders, contractors, clients and others to deploy best environmental management practices in our work environments;
- We develop environmental plans which include local conditions, environment realities, and social values;
- We order an immediate stoppage of work by any employee when found to be acting contrary to this policy and we notify the appropriate Company and government officials;
- We provide ongoing assistance to various agencies to ensure that mitigation and remediation activities are carried out in an environmental emergency;
- We conduct regular environmental audits of Company practices and operations to ensure high performance of our environmental management practices.
Current operational practices at Blackcomb Aviation include, but are not limited to, the following initiatives:
- Fuelling systems at all bases are “next generation” double-walled tanks with 150% spill containment;
- Each fuelling system has a spill kit located within close proximity;
- All Blackcomb staff members receive annual training in environmental stewardship, not only in fuelling procedures, but also in how to reduce Blackcomb’s environmental footprint;
- All Blackcomb pilots are regularly briefed on how to minimize environmental damage in the busy environment through improved flight skills and by selecting logical, non-damaging landing locations;
- All Blackcomb flight operations personnel are certified for safe dangerous goods handling;
Blackcomb Aviation is keenly aware of the impact of greenhouse gas emissions and actively pursues a variety of means by which they can demonstrate environmental leadership in the aviation sector as advances in technology, better regulation, and our own innovations give us the tools to improve.